Located in the northern part of peninsular Florida not far from Gainesville, in the sandhills of the state's central ridge, Gold Head Branch State Park is one of eight Florida parks created by the men and boys of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). (A museum commemorating the CCC is located at Highlands Hammock State Park.) Upon a tract of land donated by an early conservation advocate, Mike Roess, the CCC constructed nine stone cabins, a pavillon, a bathhouse, and campground between 1935 and 1942. The park was officially dedicated on 15 April 1939. Today Gold Head Branch State Park encompasses 2,099 acres and offers the public a large picnic area, 74 campsites, primative and group camping areas, and 14 furnished cabins.